Free Online PDF Unlocker
|Internet media type||application/pdf|
|Description:||PDF stands for Portable Document Format and uses the .pdf file extension. It was invented by Adobe in 1993. For many years it has been one of the most commonly used file formats. The main aim of the PDF is to send important information to another person quickly and easily. PDFs can combine text and multimedia within one document, they work with nearly all hardware and operating systems.
|Technical Details:||PDF is a 7-bit ASCII file with a fixed layout. PDF uses the PostScript language, which makes it possible to display a range of text fonts, graphics and other media in a single, universal file. Some PDF documents have an encryption feature that will keep them from being read until whoever is opening the document provides a password.|
|Initial Release:||15 June 1993|
Unlock PDF files in seconds with a secure tool
Follow the steps below to unlock a PDF online
Do you deal with a great number of confidential documents? Are they locked with a password for security? Typically, you have to enter a password every time you need to access a document. To save yourself the trouble of re-entering passwords, simply unlock a PDF file with our tool. It comes with AES-128 encryption and allows you to instantly and securely remove a document’s password in five simple steps. No account is needed. Here’s how to proceed.
How to unlock a secured PDF
- Upload a file or drag-and-drop it into the highlighted area.
- Enter its password to unlock the PDF.
- Click on the eye icon to show or hide the password.
- Hit Unlock Now to proceed.
- Download the unlocked file by clicking the Download button.
The PDF unlocker is not the only feature our solution has to offer. If you need to make any other changes to a document, you can do so by exploring the advanced toolset for creating, editing, optimizing, signing, and annotating documents in one place. It also allows you to create fillable forms and templatize frequently used documents. With our tool, you get a one-stop solution for your daily PDF tasks.
Get a video walkthrough on how to unlock a PDF
Learn how to easily remove a password from a protected document with our PDF remover feature and access files in a more timely and convenient way. There’s no need to create an account or provide your email address.
The Ultimate Features Comparison Chart
There are hundreds of solutions on the internet that specialize in online document management. Check out the comparison table below to find out why millions of users choose AltoUnlockPDF.
|No software downloads||✔||✔||❌|
|Cloud storage||Unlimited||No info||No info|
|Price||Free||Free 7-Day Trial paid||Free 7-Day Trial paid|
|Encryption and security||✔||✔||✔|
Customer Reviews — Trusted by great people
The best time-saver ever! I receive tons of emails with documents and Altounlocker easily removes all the restrictions from them, so I can edit the files the way I need to.
I like everything about AltoPDF and its unlocker tool is no exception. I don’t like lots of apps on my phone, which makes AltoPDF’s free online version perfect for me.
Such a great solution! It removes encryption from docs and at the same time protects me as the owner of the file. All I need is my device and Internet connection!
How to Unlock a PDF Document
How to unlock a PDF online
Why someone chooses to unlock their PDF online can vary depending on their situation, but whatever the reason, the process should be simple and straightforward, while also being secure. Using a web-based solution like AltoUnlockPDF, you don't need to install any additional software, which significantly accelerates the process, getting you results much faster, and saves money too.
Unlock a secured PDF online by following the instructions below:
- Open AltoUnlockPDF – go to altounlockpdf.com in your preferred browser.
- Upload a document – click Choose File to upload a file from your device or select a cloud storage service to import a file.
- Remove the password – enter the password in the field provided and click Unlock Now!.
- Get your file – wait for a few seconds while the system processes the password and click Download Now to save the document.
- Continue editing – select one of four available options including the chance to import the document to
AltoUnlockPDF allows you to unlock password-protected PDFs in just a few simple steps. What can be easier? You don't need to register, subscribe, or watch annoying ads to remove passwords from your files. In addition, perform the operation on your computer or smartphone, no matter their operating system. Avoid platforms that waste your time and money. Use AltoUnlockPDF!
How to unlock a PDF in Google Chrome
Google Chrome add-ons are extremely useful for anyone trying to do anything at a professional level in their browser these days. They make things fast and simple. As of now, there are thousands of micro-applications to help you monitor your productivity, block annoying ads, or entertain you with cats walking around your screen. Installing the AltoUnlockPDF extension gives you the ability to unlock secured PDF files in Chrome in just a couple of clicks.
Check out the instructions below to unlock a password-protected PDF in Google Chrome:
- Install the extension – go to the Chrome Web Store and find the AltoUnlockPDF extension, click Add to Chrome and install it.
- Launch the add-on – open the extension by clicking on its icon in the top right-hand corner of your browser.
- Upload a document – click Choose File to upload a file from your device.
- Unlock the document – enter its password and wait for the operation to end.
- Download your file – export it to the cloud or click Download Now to save the document to your device.
The main advantage of using the AltoUnlockPDF extension is that you always have it at your fingertips. No need to look for the service on the internet or in dozens of your browser's bookmarks. In addition, its interface is really straightforward, so it’s not a problem if you have never used add-ons before or are very familiar with online tools. Unlock a PDF in Google Chrome in less than a minute!
How to unlock a PDF in Windows
Windows has a long way to go in terms of built-in software for managing documents. Suppose you need to edit files in Portable Document Format: add or remove passwords, sign them, etc. What are you going to use? You’ll have to resort to third-party tools and services. For managing PDFs, you have two options: paid software like Adobe Acrobat or free online services like AltoUnlockPDF. First of all, you need to decide what programs you want to use. Installed software is often expensive but on the other hand,you can use them offline. Web-based solutions always need an internet connection but can be used on any device from anywhere.
Check our step-by-step guide below on how to unlock a PDF in Windows without installing additional software:
- Open AltoUnlockPDF – use your preferred browser and go to altounlockpdf.com.
- Add a protected file – upload a document from your device or import it from the cloud.
- Enter the password – type it into the available field and press Enter or Unlock Now!.
- Get your file – download the file to your device or export it back to the cloud.
- Edit the document – select one of four offered options to upload the sample to pdfFiller and professionally edit it.
AltoUnlockPDF works on any platform. The tool is great and super useful for anyone because you can unlock a secured PDF on multiple platforms including macOS, iOS, Windows, and Android. Try AltoUnlockPDF, it’s FREE!
How to unlock a PDF in macOS
Sometimes the need to remove the password you added to your file for convenience reasons. PDF security is great. However, it can also slow down processes and cause a lot of confusion for people who don’t know that PDFs can have passwords. Fortunately, macOS users like yourself have the default program Preview, which allows you not only to add and highlight texts or sign samples but also to lock and unlock PDF files.
Follow the instructions below to unlock a PDF in macOS:
- Open a file in Preview – double-click on the file or right-click on it and select Open With > Preview.
- Get access to the document – insert the password into the field and hit enter.
- Create a new document – click File > Export and define the destination of your file.
- Remove the password – make sure that you don't have a check the box near the Encrypt option.
- Save the file – click Save to get generate a file that isn’t protected by a password.
Unlocking a secured PDF on a Mac with Preview is pretty easy, however, if you’re interested in trying out a specialized web-based tool, try AltoUnlockPDF. It's free and you don’t even have to create an account. Simply upload or import a file, enter it’s password, click Unlock Now!, and boom, you’re done.
How to unlock a PDF in Adobe Acrobat
Adobe was directly responsible for developing the Portable Document Format and knows it better than anyone else. They use that knowledge to be one of the industry’s leading services for managing PDFs. Use Adobe to edit, transform, convert, sign, lock, and unlock PDF files online or offline.
Review the instructions below to learn how to unlock a PDF in Adobe Acrobat:
- Install Adobe Acrobat – download it from the official website and create an account.
- Open your file – click Open With and select the appropriate program.
- Launch the Unlock tool – select Tools > Protect > Encrypt > Remove security.
- Delete the password – confirm the removal of the security by entering the password once more and clicking OK.
Note that Adobe offers a free 7-day trial only after creating an account. Because the free trial is limited, many opt to buy a subscription up front. For a different experience, consider using free services like AltoUnlockPDF. It allows you to unlock PDFs online without downloading any software. In addition, you don't even need to register an account or deal with annoying ads. Just open altounlockpdf.com in your preferred browser, upload a file, enter a password, and save the document. Our service also supports the importing and exporting samples from and to cloud storage services. Try AltoUnlockPDF now!
How to unlock a PDF on mobile
Finding a convenient service that will help you remove the passwords from your documents is difficult. Finding one that can unlock PDF on mobile is even more difficult. That's why we came out with AltoUnlockPDF. It allows you to work from any device, no matter it’s operating system. All you need is a web browser and an internet connection.
Check out the instructions below to unlock a secured PDF on mobile:
- Prepare the needed resources – check your internet connection, decide on a browser, and go to altounlockpdf.com.
- Upload the file – click Choose File to browse for one on your device.
- Start removing the encryption – insert the file’s password into the field and click Unlock Now!.
- Get your document – wait for a few seconds while the system deletes the code from your file and then click Download Now.
You don't need to pay or waste time watching ads each time you need to unlock a PDF online. AltoUnlockPDF is a free and reliable solution that doesn't require you to register or pay. Remove passwords as many times as you need without paying a penny. You don't even need to leave your email address. Stop hesitating and get started with AltoPDF’s suite of tools today.
How to unlock a PDF on iOS
One of the easiest ways to manage your documents on your iPhone or iPad is by using specialized applications. All you need to do is find a convenient app once, and then it's always on hand. However, apps take up space. If you’re looking for a faster, more professional approach to quick document management, consider a web-based tool.
Check out the instructions below to unlock a PDF for editing on iOS:
- Launch AltoUnlockPDF – go to altounlockpdf.com in your preferred browser.
- Upload a document – click Choose File to browse for files on your device or import them from the cloud.
- Remove the passcode – enter the password and click Unlock Now!.
- Export your document – download it by clicking Download Now or export it directly to the cloud.
This way of unlocking secured PDF files is convenient and straightforward for any platform or screen size. Only four simple steps and your document is ready for editing or bulk sending. Using our web app is totally free and doesn't require you to sign up, leave your email address, or do anything else relating to your personal information. Anyone looking to remove passwords from PDF files online would benefit from AltoUnlockPDF.
How to unlock a PDF on Android
Mobile applications can transform your mobile phone into a powerful gadget for solving a wide variety of different problems. Using mobile apps, you can communicate with others, watch videos, manage tasks, and work with files. AltoPDF, a platform that wants to be extremely convenient for all users, is working on developing a specialized mobile app that will allow you to lock and unlock secured PDF files on all of your Android devices.
Follow the instructions below to unlock a PDF on Android:
- Open your preferred browser – go to altounlockpdf.com.
- Upload a document – click Choose File.
- Enter the password – type the file’s password in and click Unlock Now!.
- Wait for a few seconds – wait while the system processes your request.
- Save the file – click Download Now or export it to the cloud (Google Drive, Dropbox, OneDrive).
You won't feel any inconvenience while using the web version over the mobile application. Its interface is user friendly and makes the process of unlocking a PDF fast and straightforward. AltoUnlockPDF has no unnecessary steps like registration, subscribing, leaving email addresses, etc. Get immediate results. Try it now!
The best way to remove a password from a locked file is to unlock the PDF online. Go to altounlockpdf.com, upload your document, enter the file’s password, and save your file to your device or the cloud without any additional security steps. If you don’t know the password, you’ll have to get this from the individual who applied the code.