Free Online PDF Unlocker
|Internet media type||application/pdf|
|Description:||PDF stands for Portable Document Format and uses the .pdf file extension. It was invented by Adobe in 1993. For many years it has been one of the most commonly used file formats. The main aim of the PDF is to send important information to another person quickly and easily. PDFs can combine text and multimedia within one document, they work with nearly all hardware and operating systems.
|Technical Details:||PDF is a 7-bit ASCII file with a fixed layout. PDF uses the PostScript language, which makes it possible to display a range of text fonts, graphics and other media in a single, universal file. Some PDF documents have an encryption feature that will keep them from being read until whoever is opening the document provides a password.|
|Initial Release:||15 June 1993|
How to unlock a PDF online
- Open AltoUnlockPDF.com in your web browser.
- Within the app, click Choose File and upload a PDF or simply drag-and-drop it into the box.
- Import a document stored online by clicking one of the cloud storage service icons below.
- Wait for the upload to finish.
- Create a password for your PDF, then click Unlock Now! Your unlocked file will be ready in seconds.
- Choose what else you’d like to do with the resulting PDF.
- Click Work on your PDF to edit it online (i.e. redact, sign, or share it with another user).
- Click Download Now to save the PDF file to your computer or phone.
The Ultimate Features Comparison Chart
As a result of the sheer number of competitors on the Internet, choosing the best software can be difficult — especially if you don’t properly weigh up it with the options. Our comparison table will assist you to quickly find your favorite solution to Unlock PDF Documents. Evaluate the robust features of AltoUnlock.
|No software downloads||✔||✔||❌|
|Cloud storage||Unlimited||No info||No info|
|Price||Free||Free 7-Day Trial paid||Free 7-Day Trial paid|
|Encryption and security||✔||✔||✔|
Customer Reviews — Trusted by great people
The best time-saver ever! I receive tons of emails with documents and Altounlocker easily removes all the restrictions from them, so I can edit the files the way I need to.
I like everything about AltoPDF and its unlocker tool is no exception. I don’t like lots of apps on my phone, which makes AltoPDF’s free online version perfect for me.
Such a great solution! It removes encryption from docs and at the same time protects me as the owner of the file. All I need is my device and Internet connection!
How to Unlock a PDF Document
How to Remove a Password from PDF Files Online
One of the fastest ways to unlock a document is by doing so via an online service. This is actually an advantage since you do not need to install software, register or even pay for registration. Such services are easily accessible from this browser on any internet-connected device.
It may be the template you locked yourself for the purpose of sharing by email or you might have a file from a third party. Regardless, although some websites offer files in PDF format, they are not always available for preview. What usually happens is when one downloads it for a set price, the owner needs to provide a set password to it.
There are step-by-step instructions for processing your files:
- Open the web service in your browser.
- Add documents from your device or cloud storage.
- Wait until the file uploads and add a password in the corresponding area.
- To avoid mistypes, click on the eye icon and then symbols will be visible. This way you will be sure that everything is in proper order.
- Click on Unlock Now and save the document.
The locked document can come from your friend, co-worker or any other person. Anyway, do not forget to ask them to provide you with a password, otherwise, there will be no way to read or edit it. With our service, all restrictions can be easily removed from a document and you will be able to edit or rearrange the pages. The interface of our service is easy to use and any new user can process documents with it in just minutes.
How to Remove a Password From PDF files with Google Сhrome
Google Chrome is a powerful editor, that can easily be installed on every device. Thanks to its multi-platforming and the wide variety of additional functions in combination with extensions, it is an extremely useful and dynamic browser. Any user can customize it according to personal needs, adding a specific background, selecting the style of font and adding personalized extensions for any purpose. For example, the Alto Unlock for Chrome is a perfect free tool when it comes to unlocking documents. Here is how you can process documents with this extension:
- Add Alto Unlock to the browser using Web store.
- Open the extension and add the document from the preferrable type of storage.
- Remove protection from the document by inserting its password.
- Save the unlocked PDF.
The Alto Unlock extension for Chrome is very useful for those who use the unlocking function rarely and often. It is simple in installation and use, enriching the browser with one more feature, available at any time. It takes no device’s memory, as extension integrates with Chrome, not in the device. The solution unlocks any file in half of a minute and decrypts it making available all information the file contains. It will be available for review, editing and sharing with other users.
How to Unlock PDF Files with Windows
Unfortunately, Windows itself does not have pre-installed tools to remove protection from templates. To do so, a user needs to install software containing a password removing option. Also, it’s possible to use an online-based service and process the template with it. You can select either a paid or free solution. It might have numerous functions or concentrate on one specific function only. It’s up to you whether to choose a paid or unpaid option. Here’s an example of how you can edit a template using Acrobat Pro installed on a Windows computer:
- Open the document in the software.
- Go to Permission Details and choose Security.
- Remove the password.
- Save the document to the preferable folder and it will be available for editing.
PDFs are very widespread among Windows users, almost the same as Word documents. That’s why everyone should decide what service to use for editing, signing, rearranging pages, locking and unlocking. Because once you decide it, it will be easier to process your files and you will not need to search again for the appropriate solution. Those who are used to working without an internet-connection should install special software. People who are often online can select cloud-based services.
How To Unlock PDF Files With Preview on Mac
All computers and laptops on the Mac operating system have the preview option for PDFs. It was developed so users wouldn’t have to purchase or install additional software.
And in this instance, there is no need to use online apps. One can simply read the document’s content, rearrange its pages or combine several templates in one. It's also easy to remove protection from the template. But you need to know the correct password.
The instructions for removing a password are given below:
- Right-click on the needed document.
- Select Open with and choose Preview out of the list of available programs.
- Next, you will see a new window and a lock, followed by an input field.
- Insert the needed combination and your sample will open.
- Click on File and save the document as password-free.
Do not forget to include a folder for saving the sample. It will be stored in the directory you have chosen. This tool helps you easily unlock files anytime, even if there is no internet connection available. Your file will be available for making changes, signing and page rearrangement. The document can also be easily shared with any user and you will not need to remove its security features again.
How To Remove a Password From PDF Files with Adobe Reader
Adobe software is already relatively widespread. This is largely due to the fact that they originally created what is known as PDF format. This application is developed for different devices. The free mobile version of the Acrobat Reader unlocks password-protected files. The desktop software has this feature only in the paid version. It's just easier to install the mobile app for free and unlock files with it.
Acrobat is good for those who work with PDFs on a regular basis and have enough memory in their devices to work with this solution. To unlock a document with this application, follow the steps given below:
- Install the application to your device and register.
- Import the encrypted file.
- Go to Permission Details and the pop-up window will appear.
- Open the Security tab and remove the password.
- Save the PDF document and it will be available for editing.
As you can see, those who installed the Pro version of Acrobat can easily update security settings and unlock their PDF documents in a few minutes. This is ideal if you can't get connected to the internet. You can then edit the document and add your signature to it. It's also possible to delete or rearrange template pages. Finally, share the sample with other users by attaching it to an email.
How to Unlock PDF on the Phone
If you don't need your documents protected anymore, unlock your PDF on your phone. You only need a browser and to go to one website. No additional software needed! Moreover, Alto never asks for your email or credit card. Take a look at Alto's instructions to password protect your PDFs.
- On AltoUnlockPDF.com's homepage, hit the Choose file button.
- Select the document from your device or the cloud.
- Enter the password for the document.
- Save it without a password by clicking the Download Now button.
- Discover various powerful opportunities for PDFs in the professional editor by pdfFiller.
The whole process is straightforward and only takes a minute of your time.
AltoPDF is a professional app, built by professional software engineers, so there is no reason to be concerned about your files losing their quality. No matter if you're locking or unlocking your PDF, the quality will remain as it was before you started the process.
You can combine this feature with some others on altopdf.com. Convert, merge, split, and compress documents before you decide to lock or unlock your PDFs. Do everything from your phone with AltoPDF!
How to Unlock PDF on iPhone
The ability to remove a password from a PDF can only be done by someone who already knows it. A key can be removed using an iPhone, iPad or Android device. If you want to remove a password from one of your documents, please follow these tips:
- Open Safari or other web-browser.
- Go to altounlockpdf.com and click Choose File to upload the protected document.
- Enter the password and hit Unlock PDF Now!.
- When the process is complete, click Download Now.
- Try professional editing and signing with pdfFiller. Select Sign & Secure to begin.
After you finish the process, your downloaded file can be opened without a password, so before you unlock your PDF, be confident that it’s a good idea.
With the Alto services and its ability to be used from any device, passwords can be deleted at any time. Uploading and downloading your files doesn’t affect their quality, so they will stay looking good. Consider using Alto’s online solutions more often to save time, effort and your iPhone’s/iPad’s storage. Most likely, you don't unlock PDFs every day, so downloading or installing any apps is unnecessary. That's why Alto is a perfect choice. Add it to your Bookmarks and don't forget to come back.
How to Unlock PDF on Android
Despite the absence of a specialized application that can help you unlock PDFs on Androids, you are still able to do it. AltoPDF created the perfect service for you that will help you delete protection PDFs quick:
- Open your favorite browser and then go to our webpage at altounlockpdf.com.
- Tapping on the Choose File button, upload a password-protected file.
- Enter the password.
- Tap Unlock PDF Now!.
- Click Download Now.
- If you want to make some changes to the document like edit, sign it or even notarize it without leaving home, check out other editing opportunities offered by pdfFiller.
One of the greatest things about AltoPDF and its unlocking function is that it doesn’t make you download or buy any new or expensive software. It’s web-based and fee! Today it’s really common for people not to have time. With our service, everything is done online. That's why it's better than other platforms.
You don't even need to sign up! We are completely free, and don’t have any hidden fees. Add our page to your Favorites and use AltoPDF to clear the protection on all of your documents.
If you don’t have the software downloaded to your computer, the best free service will be the online one. Try AltoUnlock for this purpose. It has a number of advantages over other programs. It’s fast, user-friendly and allows importing and importing documents from different storage systems like Cloud Storage and GoogleDrive.